Children’s Dental Sedation
Children do not understand what is happening or why they need dental treatment. Many kids need sedation to help them relax and get through their appointment. Sedation makes the experience more pleasant for both the child and the parent.
There are different types of sedation dentistry methods for children. The method we use will depend on your child’s anxiety level. If you are looking for a pediatric dentist in Hanover, ON, then Hanover Dental is your answer. We specialize in children’s dentistry and offer various sedation methods to best help your child.
What Is Dental Sedation?
When Should Kids Be Sedated?
The answer to this question varies from child to child. Some kids are naturally anxious about visiting the dentist and will need sedation for even simple procedures. Others may be more comfortable and only need it for invasive treatments such as oral surgery.
Some common reasons your child might need dental sedation include:
- Children who have strong gag reflexes or have trouble sitting still for long periods
- Kids who need multiple procedures or a lengthy procedure in one appointment
- Children with special needs
- Kids with severe anxiety
Is Sedation Safe?
The American Academy of Pediatrics released updated guidelines in 2019 for sedation and anesthesia for children undergoing dental procedures. The guidelines highlight that two qualified people are always in the room to provide advanced life-support measures in an emergency. One of these people will be the oral surgeon, and the other will be an independent observer. This independent observer must be a trained anesthesiologist.
Our dental team is board-certified and has years of training and experience. We will provide your child with the safest possible sedation experience during their procedure. We will take the time to examine your child’s needs to determine if they are a suitable candidate for sedation. If sedation is a safe option, you can have peace of mind knowing our dental surgery facility has the most up-to-date equipment and technology.
Types of Sedation Used in Pediatric Dentistry
There are various forms of sedation options used on children, such as
- IV moderate sedation. This type of intravenous sedation is called ‘twilight sleep’ or ‘conscious sedation.’ This mild sedative, given through an IV, will allow your child to remain awake and relaxed during the entire procedure. The uncomfortable part of this sedation will be the needle’s sting to start the IV. But soon after, they will feel drowsy and relaxed.
- IV deep sedation. Deep sedation is used for more involved procedures that may take longer to complete. A stronger dose of medication is given so your child will likely fall asleep but can still wake up with a gentle shake or by calling their name.
- General anesthesia. This level of sedation is the strongest type and will put your child to sleep for the duration of the procedure. Once sedated, an endotracheal tube is inserted through your child’s mouth or nose to help them breathe during the procedure. Our dental team is highly trained and experienced in administering general anesthesia. We will closely monitor your child’s heart rate and breathing throughout the process.
What To Expect After the Procedure
When your child wakes up from sedation, they may be drowsy and confused. It is important you stay with them until the effects of the sedation have worn off. Once they are awake and alert, you can take them home.
If your child received general anesthesia, we will monitor them and a nurse will stay with them to check their vital signs. Once they are stable, you can take them home.
After receiving sedation or anesthesia, your child may experience the following side effects.
- Drowsiness. Drowsiness can last several hours after the procedure.
- Nausea and vomiting. We will give your child medication before the procedure to help reduce this side effect.
- Headache. After general anesthesia, it’s common to have a headache that can last for a few hours. We will recommend certain pain relievers and ice packs to help relieve the pain.
It’s important that you follow all post-operative instructions. This will help ensure a smooth and speedy recovery.
If you have questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you and your child through every step of the recovery process
The Best Children’s Sedation Dentist in Hanover, ON
We understand the stress and anxiety both children and parents can face when going to the dentist. If you are looking for a family dentist in Hanover, ON, look no further than Hanover Dental. Our dental team is passionate about providing gentle, compassionate dental care to every child. We promise to make your child’s dental experience as comfortable and stress-free as possible. For children’s sleep dentistry in Hanover, call (226) 257-8888 or complete the online booking form.